This section has been developed to assist small businesses to create a healthier workplace, acknowledging that many small businesses have limited time and resources and are not all the same.
It is important to remember that workplace health programs can be simple and low cost. The most important thing is for the program to be tailored to the needs of your business.
Here are some simple suggestions to consider:
- Network with other local businesses through local chambers of commerce and organise group activities or group discounts on services like gym memberships for staff
- Provide educational resources on particular health issues for your employees
- Use promotional motivational posters encouraging employees to make active choices such as talking the stairs instead of the lifts or escalators
- When catering meetings, request the supplier provide healthy foods and beverages
- Provide fresh fruit for employees
- Provide opportunities for physical activity, such as flexible work hours or provide maps of suitable lunchtime walking routes
- Owners of home-based businesses can look at how to structure their working day to fit in regular exercise and eat better.