How to Plan and Deliver a Workplace Health Program
Choose one or more health issues that you would like to include in your program
- Use a regular staff or team meeting to identify some health issues that you could address
- Ask staff to prioritise the most important issue as a starting point
- Create a list of health issues to target from those that have been identified in your assessment step.
- Involve both management and employees (from all levels of your workplace) in identifying priority health issues through meetings, emails or suggestion boxes
Plan and Deliver your programManaging a program can be a very simple process. There are some key steps to keep in mind when planning and delivering a program.
- Create a ‘to-do’ list and ask for feedback from staff at a meeting or via email
- Allocate activities or tasks to individuals or small groups and ensure they are given dedicated work time and support to undertake them
Detailed approach:Once priorities are established, develop an action plan for your workplace that includes both longer and short term plans.
Your action plan should include:
- goals that state the overall desired outcome for the workplace
- objectives that state what should be done to achieve the goals
- how, when and where will the program will operate
- what activities the program will undertake
- how risks will be assessed and managed
- who will be responsible for the various aspects of the program
- what resources are available, both in-house resources and external resources, including possible government assistance
- ideas for how the program can be marketed and promoted amongst employees
- considerations for longer term sustainability
- what indicators you will use to measure the success of your program
Workplace Health Program ToolsThese resources will help you plan and deliver a workplace health program suitable to your workplace. The resources below are suitable to be used in any state or territory.
Healthy workplace guides
- Healthier Workplace WA - Templates for creating workplace health policies
- WorkSafe Victoria: Healthy Workplace Kit
Developing a healthy workplace policy
- Heart Foundation / Staff Wellness Program 2009 - Case Study
- Heart Foundation / Healthy workplace guide - ten steps
- Healthier Work, ACT Government - Example Health and Wellbeing Policy
- Healthier Work, ACT Government - Health and wellbeing action plan
- Tasmanian Government’s ‘Guidelines on Implementing a Workplace Health and Wellbeing Program’